WHERE I’VE LIVED
- Chicago — born and raised
- Providence — Brown University
- New York City — finally found a place to store all my shoes
WHAT I SOUND LIKE
- Crisp & Clear
- Dirty — not in a bad way, mind you. Unless you’re looking for dirty 🙂 I mean a slight raspiness…a crackle.
WHO I’VE PLAYED
- Cassie Logan, a spirited girl from Depression-era Mississippi. I had the pleasure of voicing this character as she grew up, in Mildred Taylor’s award-winning books about the Logan family.
- Vivian Wong, a champion duelist and martial arts expert in the popular anime series Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Luther, who had to sing even though half his face was blown off midway through John Varley’s Gaean audiobook sci-fi trilogy.
- Doctors, moms, announcers and other voices of authority in a whole slew of commercials, promos and industrials.
OTHER STUFF I DO
- Sing – low alto, approaching tenor. Yeah, I probably sing lower than your brother does.
- ADR. That’s Automated Dialog Replacement, for those who want to get technical. Also known as “Looping”.
- Play the piano. Sort of. All those years of lessons didn’t turn me into Mozart, but they did teach me to sight read, stumble through a song, and transpose my own charts.
WHAT’S ON MY SHELVES
- My Emmy Award — okay, I was a 12-year-old news anchor, but it still counts.
- A multitude of dictionaries, thesauri, and other assorted reference materials, including a book that really should have its own shelf — “Eats, Shoots & Leaves”, by Lynne Truss.
- Shoes — stacked in their original boxes, in a small closet I converted just for this purpose. Nirvana.
WHAT I’VE WORN
- The funky, appliquéd skirt they let me keep from that Road Runner TV commercial — I played a florist.
- Cocktail dresses, patterned hose, sparkly jewelry, and colorful vintage gloves, when I’m onstage singing.
- Have I mentioned the shoes??